Monday, April 24, 2006

In my country there is problem...

And the problem is transport.

This morning I was beat to work by a guy on a bike. This makes me think that maybe I should be biking to work. If I worked in the city, I would be able to metro; my friend's tell me that this has its positives and negatives but I still think it would be better than driving to work, spending 45 minutes in traffic every morning, and averaging $240 a month in travel expenses, when a daily ride on the metro costs rougly $3 round trip.

Tags: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Driving in general has become a horribly aggravating endeavor. It's expensive, slow, and tests my patience way too much for a daily activity.
On top of that, monthly car payments are obnoxious too. If one could eliminate a car from their life, she would probably save about $7,000 (after tax!) annually. Even if you had to use half of that (unlikely as that is) for alternative transportation, $3,500 is still a big chunk of change.
But of course, we're in America, and everything is really spread out, so of course walking and biking are probably not viable alternatives. And of course Americans have to label car ownership as a primary status symbol.
Anyway, now that I'm done bitching, I think you should check out a carsharing program in your area if you really want to cut down on travel expenses. Go to:
http://www.carsharing.net/where.html
There is apparently a program in the Arlington area, but I couldn't easily find more information with a second Google search. Good luck!

Scott said...

You make a strong point. I do enjoy driving my car, though, and am willing to take on the expense of ownership for the benefits included with it. The only time I feel that ride-sharing would be of use to me would be during my commute to and from the office. I'm not ready to give up my car just for that, but certainly have looked into carpooling to solve the work-commute-problem